It’s that time of the year: 2013 is around the corner and new year optimism has us setting goals and resolutions left and right. We could settle for the typical “eat better, work out more, lose weight” route, or we could let 2013 spark our creativity and aim for more unconventional aspirations. This year I’ve framed five fantastic resolutions:
1. Send more snail mail — It’s great being able to keep in contact with college friends through Facebook, but a post can only get so personal. I love sending a hand written letter and a hand-made card and a sticker on the envelope makes it just that much better! I promise you the time and the cost of postage won’t go unappreciated.
2. Less work time more friend time — This is a big one for me. I really spend too much time working and not enough time with friends and family. I’m not going to let my grades plummet, but I am going to make a conscious effort to relax. My friends deserve it and I deserve it!
3. Read more (for fun!) — I never read for pleasure during the school year. Every time I pick up a non-school book I feel guilty one page in. I’m haunted by thoughts of school work and my inner drill sergeant screaming, “WHY AREN’T YOU READING YOUR TEXTBOOKS?!” Some reading for fun would be good for me and probably make me ultimately more productive.
4. Remember more names — Ever been introduced to someone only to realize one second later that you couldn’t remember the person’s name if your life depended on it? Happens to me all the time. I’m usually so focused on giving my own name during introductions that my mind completely tunes out the rest of the conversation. Then three weeks later (after you’ve seen each other at multiple parties) you have to introduce your other friend to them and all you can sputter out is, “Sally, have you met… uhh….” Yeah, this is just bad news bears on all levels. Focus on the other peoples’ names during introductions — I’m pretty sure you won’t mess up your own.
5. BE ON TIME — I am so so so sooooooooooo bad with this. SO BAD. It’s actually unbelievable. Especially since I’m mildly neurotic about schedules, it kind of doesn’t make any sense… but for whatever reason I always underestimate my prep time and end up literally sprinting to a frighteningly large number of things (like concerts that I’m performing in, masses I’m lectoring at, club events I’m running…). I always make it in the nick of time, but maybe in 2013 I can head out to things so that I have enough time to actually breathe when I get there.
Have an awesome last day of 2012 and happy resolution brainstorming! Do you have any creative new year’s resolutions? Any tips for how to stick to your goals??
Posted in academics, diy, me!, party
Tagged 2012, 2013, alex and ani, art, aspiration, brainstorm, capital region, cat, cat ziac, college, college life, courses, creativity, diy, do it yourself, envelope, event, f. scott fitzgerald, family, friends, garnet letter, goals, hello my name is, holiday, introductions, Kate Spade, letters, mail, names, new year, new york, party, polyvore, postage, productivity, read, resolutions, schedule, schenectady, snail mail, sticker, textbooks, the great gatsby, thegarnetletter, time, union, union college, upstate, winter, work, ziac
window stickies have the right idea at my house!
Yesterday the upstate area got its first real snow fall of the season! It was magical to wake up to a blanket of blanc and frost-freckled foliage. My favorite part of a snow storm is always the way the snow balances on even the tiniest of twigs — so beautiful! I’m going to enjoy these next few snowed-in days cuddled up with cocoa and family by the fire!
Posted in me!, schenectady & beyond
Tagged 2012, blanc, campus, capital region, cat, cat ziac, college, college life, event, family, flake, foliage, garnet letter, holiday, home, hot cocoa, house, new york, schenectady, snow, thegarnetletter, twin, union, union college, upstate, weekend, white, winter, ziac
Just one week left in 2012.
Time to celebrate!
Posted in music & movies, party
Tagged 2012, capital region, cat, cat ziac, college, college life, dj earworm, event, garnet letter, holiday, mashup, music, new york, party, schenectady, sparkle, thegarnetletter, union, union college, upstate, winter, ziac
Hopefully by now you have all of your major Christmas shopping out of the way, but don’t forget about the stocking stuffers! My family always does big gifts first on Christmas morning, then stockings as a kind of “present dessert.” People often underestimate the power of a simple stocking stuffer, but these inspired items can sometimes pack an even more profound punch then any big ticket treasure on Christmas morning… Still searching for stocking solutions? You’ve come to the right place:
1. Hair ties — You can never have enough hair ties. It seems the more you buy, the less you own. They are tiny security blankets; they are universal friendship bracelets; the vacuum loves to eat them and so does the washing machine. Get a set of ribbon hair ties and you’ve just one-upped an already perfect creation!
2. Moleskine notebook — For the creative in the family. Pocket-sized notebooks are absolutely awesome for jotting down appointments, reminders, ideas, and doodles. Who knows? Maybe the next best business will be recorded this Christmas!
3. Socks — You hated getting them as gifts growing up, but now they’re at the top of your list. Literally, socks were on my Christmas list this year…
4. E.L.F. makeup — With Target’s super inexpensive E.L.F. makeup, who cares if you only use it once? This stuff is perfect for throwing in an overnight bag or your backpack for in-between-class touch ups!
5. Essie nail polish — Are diamonds a girl’s best friend, or is nail polish? Like No. 1, you can never have too much!
6. Ear buds — New Year’s resolutions are just around the corner… equipt thyself!
7. Earring sets — Forever 21 has a killer selection of earring sets this time of year and with prices around the $5, these stocking stuffers are a no-brainer!
Hope these seven stocking stuffers give you all the last-minute gift inspiration you need! Ho-ho-ho-ho-holey moley Christmas is close!!
Posted in diy, fashion, party
Tagged 2012, appointment, art, backpack, capital region, cat, cat ziac, christmas, diamonds, diy, do it yourself, doodle, ear buds, earrings, elf, essie, event, family, fashion, forever 21, garnet letter, gifts, hair ties, head phones, holiday, idea, inexpensive, jewelry, makeup, moleskine, nail polish, new year, new york, notebook, overnight, party, polyvore, presents, reminder, resolution, ribbon, school, season, seven, shopping, sleep over, socks, sparkle, stocking stuffers, style, target, thegarnetletter, treat, union, union college, upstate, vacuum, washing machine, weekend, winter, work out, ziac
We should probably talk about these shoes. I saw them the other day while browsing through the J. Crew at Columbus Circle and was in awe — I seriously think my jaw might have dropped open. They are even more sparkly and wonderful in person! Wouldn’t they just look lovely with a red dress at a holiday fete? A girl can dream…
Posted in fashion, party
Tagged art, cat, cat ziac, college, college life, columbus circle, event, everly cap toe glitter pump, fall, fashion, garnet letter, glitter, heel, holiday, J.Crew, new york, party, pump, shoes, shopping, sparkle, thegarnetletter, time warner center, union, union college, winter, ziac