Last week I took a style study break and painted my nails. I’ve been rocking a lot of pastel-y neutrals this winter (I love Essie’s “Picket Fence,” “Brooch the Subject,” and “Yogaga” just to name a few…), but wanted to switch it up and do a flashy metallic. I wear mostly gold jewelry (bracelets and studs — p.s. my twin sister Julia got me the Kate Spade “Signature Spade Studs” for Christmas and I am loving them!!), but I actually adore the two-tone look and thought some silvery nails would make for a chic switch-up! Like what you see? Do-it-yourself:
1. Completely remove all old nail polish.
2. Cut and file nails into desired shape. (I prefer to use nail scissors over clippers and always go for a rounded rectangular shape — it’s super flattering!)
3. Paint nails with a base coat. (I love Essie’s sensitivity base coat. Essie’s “Feed Me” is also great for dry nails like mine.)
4. Paint two coats of nail polish on each nail, letting each coat dry in between. I used an absolutely ancient polish from Delia’s (I’m so surprised it hasn’t dried out yet or gotten all sticky and tacky like old nail polishes usually do…), but you can find a similar color by OPI called “Moonraker” in their Skyfall Collection (I LOVED that movie!!).
5. Seal the deal with a top coat. (Essie’s “Good to Go” is insanely effective and dries your nails like magic!)