I’m always looking for new, fun, inexpensive ways to decorate my dorm room. Interior aesthetics in college are so difficult because you don’t have the money to make your place look like this, but at the same time you don’t want something that screams, “I’m semi-homeless!” Last year my sister helped me with this beautiful idea, but this year I wanted something a little simpler and more grown-up. I literally whipped up this monogram DIY the morning before I moved back into school. It’s super simple and oh-so-classic. Give it a try for yourself:
1. Find a blank canvas from your local craft store. Pre-painted white ones are the best! (Mine was left over in my basement from when I had “borrowed” a few canvases from my art class in high school…)
2. Stencil your initials (first, LAST, middle) on lightly with a pencil. I found that practicing on a piece of paper once and then just doing it free-hand worked best for me. It doesn’t need to be perfect because you can make small adjustments as you paint. Some good fonts are available here.
3. Go over the basic letters with paint first. Use a uniform thickness for this step.
4. Add your embellishments and curly-q’s next. Again, use a uniform thickness.
5. Now it’s time to beef up the letters. Look at the original monogram fonts for guidance (see step 2), and remember that it’s easier to add paint than to take it away!
6. Once you’re satisfied with the monogram, add a fun border. (I went for a very Gatsby look!)
7. Let dry, hang, and enjoy!!